This was my favourite dessert by my mother. I am now gluten and dairy free so I can’t eat it any more. I wanted to share it so that the recipe doesn’t die on my bookshelf.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of one lemon or orange
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon or orange
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until it is creamy.
- Add the eggs and mix until eggs are incorporated.
- Add the lemon zest and beat again.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir well to combine.
- Pour about ½ cup flour mixture into the butter and egg mixture in the stand mixer and mix until it is incorporated.
- Add a few tablespoons of the milk and mix.
- Keep alternating between the flour mixture and the milk until they are used up, scraping down the sides of bowl occasionally to make sure the batter is well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meantime, in a small bowl, mix the sugar and lemon juice and set aside while the lemon bread bakes.
- Pour glaze evenly over the cooked lemon bread as soon as you take it out of the oven.
Photo by Stacy via Flickr