Servings: 20 Servings
Brown 3 lb hamburger. Stir in:
- 2 14 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 sm can tomato paste
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 3 med cans kidney beans 6 cooked
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery about 3-4 stalks
- 2 onions
- 2 green peppers
- Mushrooms 8 oz – about 10 large
- 5 tsp chili powder
- 14 oz stewed tomatoes
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tsp basil
- 3 tsp thyme
- 3 tsp parsley
- 2 tsp savory
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ c vinegar
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp tabasco
- Simmer 2-3 hours.
- Brown meat 1 lb at a time in big frying pan. Salt each pound with 1/4 tsp salt.
- In large pot sauté onions mushrooms and celery with 1/4 tsp salt.
- Once the onions have softened and mushrooms begin to lose their moisture add tomatoes that you have puréed. In the next step.
- Drain 1 can tomatoes and put in food processor to purée.
- Simmer over low heat until it becomes like a paste. Be careful because tomatoes burn easily, esp as the moisture cooks out.
- You can also add your herbs once it has cooked for a while.
- Take the meat and add it to the big pot. Put the reserved juice in the frying pan and scrape up the brown bits and add to big pot.
- Drain the other can of tomatoes and reserve that juice for later. Chop up the tomatoes into small chunks.
- Add your tomatoes and the rest of your ingredients to pot.
- Simmer until everything is cooked. Watch the temperature because tomatoes splatter and burn easily. Cook on low simmer with lid off.
- Add the reserved tomato juice as needed to the right consistency.