Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6 or 7 cooked mashed sweet potatoes baked or boiled selection tip: choose small or medium sweet potatoes with smooth skin and no/few bruises
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3 or 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla depending on taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice fresh is important or you may get a flavor that overwhelms the sweet potatoes- so aim for fresh!
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup pecan halves for topping
- salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl except the egg and the pecan halves (topping).
- Taste the mixture and adjust your salt and sugar if needed. Stir in egg.
- Put in casserole dish and top with pecan halves.
- I like to make some sort of design with the topping, but it is not necessary.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until set.
- This sweet potato casserole can be made one day ahead.
- Just refrigerate and top with plastic wrap.
- I add my pecan halves before I put it in the oven and add an additional 5-7 minutes to the baking time.